Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Jennifer Reese


Lisa: I read the article about the Love Canal. I was completely unaware of this situation. It is appalling that this happened and people bought homes in this area. It is very sad about the birth defects and other health problems.  I think that our government definitely did the right thing by buying the homes. In the future, it seems like the company that in appropriately handled the toxic waste should be responsible for the cost of the damages. If there is a problem that occurred, and no one is able to determine who caused the problem, then the government should take responsibility and make certain that the problem is solved fairly. 

Kristen: Wow. I didn't know that stuff even had happened. It's horrible.

Preston: Environmental incidents such as Love Canal still happen today. There needs to be more regulations from the government.

Jami: My first reaction to the article was that of devastation to the families who suffered from the aftermath of a chemical misfortune.  My second thought was drawn to the stupidity of the city for purchasing a waste field to build a school on.  The term "you get what you pay for" holds true in this tragedy. More due-diligence should have been done on behalf of the city before purchasing the land.  Like many consequences in life, the misfortune of the Love Canal did not surface until years later, after much damage had already been done.  My mom's best friend, Marsha, grew up in a small town near a land field of sorts and as years pasted many of her childhood friends were diagnosed with cancer. She told my mom she attributed the cancer cases to the environment she was raised in.  The children would climb up hills that had been covered with dirt and hid waste.  Marsha too was diagnosed with cancer and died in her early 50s.  It is a shame that such measures are not taken to protect our communities and unborn children from the disposal of chemical waste. 

Carol: I was unaware of the Love Canal incident. I should be a more informed community member and consumer. These accidents should never happen.

Joseph: What a terrible incident.

Jeff: The government needs to do more to protect the citizens of our country, especially the poor citizens.

Brandon: I had no idea that this happened. I am speechless.

Jenny: I read about the BP oil spills. What a tragedy. More precautions need to be taken in order to avoid those preventable disasters. What a loss.

AJ: I hate how people and sea life died during the BP oil spills. This could have been prevented. I can't believe this even happened. The oil company should be held completely responsible.


Do you believe that environmental crises affect you/your family today?
Yes. However, I did not realize that these crises affected my family members and friends until I spoke with my sister-in-law, Jami, about the Love Canal tragedy. She told me about another similar story that happened to her mom's best friend. Her mom's best friend passed away from cancer. I had no idea that these incidents affected people that I know. Jami's story made me sad. No one should die young from environmental dangers.

Based on the impact environmental tragedies affect you/your family how likely are you to take action against disasters like this one?
I will make sure that I support the proper disposal of toxic waste. I will also be very careful about where I build my future house. I will advocate for more education to prevent further environmental tragedies. I will help my family members and friends to be aware of the Love Canal tragedy and other incidents. If I can help others become aware of these situations, then hopefully people will take more precautions. I will also support policy initiatives aimed at decreasing environmental tragedies.

Were you aware that environmental tragedies of this magnitude still exist today?
No. I was not aware of current environmental tragedies until I researched the BP oil spill. I remember hearing about the oil spill a few years ago, but I did not know the details of the accident. I learned that the accident happened because of the negligence of the oil company. I learned that precautions need to be taken in order to prevent these disasters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment