Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Love Canal Assignment for Nicole Rudd


I posted a video about the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico along with the Love Canal articles and video

I asked for feedback from these videos by answering the question, were you aware that environmental tragedies of this magnitude still exist today?

1.     No idea, this scares me!
2.     I can’t believe that something so terrible could happen to that land (Love Canal) and then years later they were able to build on it, giving no warning to the residents.
3.     I knew they existed, but not to this severity. 
4.     How do people get away with this?  Businesses need to realize the harm they are doing to our environment and take the upmost care of whatever they may be working with.
5.     SO scary. Makes me wonder about where I live now..
6.     Both very scary.  More frightened about Love Canal.  Agreed with other comments, are there other places like this that we are unaware of?  Very tragic.
7.     Seems as BP needs to take many more precautions. Way too many “mistakes and accidents”.
8.     At least BP is trying to clean up what went wrong.  Had the people of Love Canal not had adverse health effects from the chemicals, would they have ever known about the dangerous land?
9.     Yes these are two scary tragedies to the environment, but I don’t think they are that common.  I am not too worried.
10.  I think they are worth worrying about.  I definitely think that businesses need to realize the toll that some things that they do, have on our earth.

My Comments:

1.     Based on the impact environmental tragedies affect you/your family how likely are you to take action against disasters like this one?

I am definitely likely to take action against disasters like this one.  As seen the health effects and birth defects that occurred as a result of the chemicals, I think that it is terrible.  I would be devastated to be one of those families and putting my family in danger.  It is wrong and I would take action against it.

2.     How do environmental tragedies affect you on a daily basis? Why should we care about them?

Environmental tragedies affect everyone in different ways.  Here in Provo during the winter months we have bad air quality due to the inversion and many chemicals and air pollution are trapped in the air.  It is dangerous for us to be breathing in.  I don’t want my kids, when their lungs are just developing, to have to breath in such air.

3.     Why should we care about something that happened over 30 years ago?

Because something that happened over 30 years ago could affect us now.  The chemicals were dumped years and years before the land was built on and they were still adversely affected.  I think it is important to care because everything that has happened years ago is effecting our environment today.

No comments:

Post a Comment