Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Evan Finlay - Love Canal/BP Oil Spill



I chose the BP spill that happened in 2010. I was amazed what affects the spill is still having on the area and thought it might be good to inform the public about this terrible situation. So much still needs to be done to ensure this is cleaned up and to make sure it doesn't happen again.





Facebook Comments

Ben Coburn I think it's good that BP was held accountable for the oil spill. VoilĂ .
o   
Kamree Merrill Wow I had no idea that oil spills caused such long-lasting damage!
o   
o   
Patrice Carey Wow. Poor birds.
o  

Evan Finlay
 video is a little dated, but it is shocking.
o   
Emma Strong Well - we need to do something about this, obviously.
o   
April Lynnette McMurray How sad! I didn't realize there were so many implications this far out from it!
o   
Kelsey Partridge So, if oil spills are prevented... we don't waste oil, AND we wont kill beautiful things. Sounds like a plan to me!


Quotes from People

Amber – We need to find other ways to create energy. Cleaner energy is needed so we can easily avoid such problems in the future. It is sad that our earth is being destroyed so greedy people can have money

Jordan – BP did a good job cleaning some of the Gulf Coast, but they obviously missed a spot.

Spencer – Besides writing complaint letters, is there something else I can do to make a difference. I would try to clean it up myself, but I have now idea how to do it.


Questions

Were you aware that environmental tragedies of this magnitude still exist today?

            I was aware that things of this magnitude still happen. I watch the news daily and am up to date through political blogs. I always thought they were isolated cases like oil spills. I was shocked to hear in the video that there are other areas like Love Canal that are just time bombs.

Do you believe that environmental crises affect you/your family today?
           
         As of this very moment, I am not overly concerned. I have heard about radioactive Radon entering the buildings I am in, but there is not a lot I can do about things like that.  It does concern me somewhat that I live in California and some of the nuclear power plants are somewhat close. If an earthquake were to happen, it would potentially have some horrible consequences.

In your opinion are environmental hazards something we should be concerned about on a daily basis?

           I think air quality should always be a large concern.  Air is a necessary resource for every aspect of our lives.  We need it as do most other things that live. Air quality is something that can be somewhat controlled. We can drive more energy efficient vehicles, use renewable energy, and walk a little bit more.


No comments:

Post a Comment