Thursday, April 11, 2013

Leah Tangedal

Probably like everyone else, I posted about the BP oil spill along with the Love Canal article.
Here are some colourful responses:

1. Do it for the birds people!!! For the BIRDS!!!
2. I hate people who kill sea turtles... raarrrrr I am still so sad about this.
3. All my fish are dying. Not that I eat fish anyways. Of course not. I'm vegan. I wouldn't dare. hug a tree, save a dolphin-not cover it in oil. Peace.
4. Wow that messes up my vacation. Now I won't be able to enjoy anything without worrying about cancer or even using a plastic bottle without feeling guilty. This is life changing.
5. It's sad because I can't think of many other ways that we can transport the oil. We will still be at risk for another spill like this. we need to move to some other power source. We have technology. We don't have to be so primitive with our fossil fuels.
6. Hmmm...and WHO had to pay for all the oil that spilled and the clean up??
7. Our economy is going to pay for this one for a loooong time. On second thought, all of us will be paying for this mistake for a long time.
8. issues like this and the Love Canal tragedy make recycling water bottles and paper towel roles seem insignificant in comparison. Why aren't we, as a society more educated about where waste (especially chemical waste) is dumped or contained?
9. In my country this would never have happened. This is problem here and many other countries as well. Many people are very focused on money and oil. Schedules are so rushed. Someone has to be somewhere else all the time. God gave us tomorrow to finish what we didn't finish today. People need to be relaxed. This disasters are so sad. 
10. I worry how we will be effected due to the hard hit it had on the food web. We are going to be eating foods that are super contaminated with chemicals.

My responses:
Do you believe that environmental crises affect you/your family today?
A: Yes I do. We all know that it takes large amounts of time,  to recover from these problems. As for the BP spill, family on the coast that was hit is continually exposed to toxic chemicals everyday. Like the article said, much of the oil and many chemicals have been found sitting at the sea floor. They are still there and posing horrible health hazards for everyone. Water flows and can transport the chemicals all around the world.

Based on the impact environmental tragedies affect you/your family how likely are you to take action against disasters like this one? 
A: Back home I live on the coast and have grown up as one of those beach loving hippies. I love my beach and respect it. It is a beautiful gift that God gave us. I'm one of those people who are out every other weekend picking up cigarette butts with friends and telling people, tourists, to hold onto their butts and keep our beaches clean. I am very likely to take action against environmental tragedies. I love the environment and feel that I am at least a little more educated than the average American solely because I have taken a few classes on environmental science to better understand what we are currently dealing with.

Environmental tragedies still exist today; what can we do today to mitigate these problems?
A: We can educate ourselves. Educate everyone. We need to know how to avoid these tragedies so they do not happen again. After reading articles about the top ten worst environmental tragedies, the magnitudes of those problems were so large that thousands of lives were taken and the areas effected then are still being affected now. If we become educated on environmental issues, maybe more people will speak up with ideas on how to better transport/contain/etc toxic wastes, etc. We can make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment