Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Love Canal- Hailey Mitchell

I posted the Love Canal video along side with an article I found from the Mother Nature Network sharing 10 worst man made environmental disasters. I didn't realize how devastating man made mistakes can be to the environment. We should do all in our power to keep the environment we live in safe. 

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wilderness-resources/photos/americas-10-worst-man-made-environmental-disasters/the-pla

Were you aware that environmental tragedies of this magnitude still exist today?

"I had no idea, that is wild!!!" -James Wagstaff

"I figured in other countries/cultures where they aren't as developed and industrialized... but not here!" -Hanna Wagstaff 

"I can't believe that this happened and probably continues to happen. There should be laws about this." -Kelsey Denning

"Someone didn't do their research. I had no idea. This reminds me of the conference talk where he explained the thorough testing of ground and the considerations that occur prior to building temples." -Patrick Denning

"This is so sad, I can't even imagine what those families had to go through. Birth defects and illnesses just due to where they lived? No one should ever have to endure such a tragedy so unknowingly as they did. Makes me wonder if chemical landfills are properly taken care of today, even if there are health standards that need to be followed." -Courtney Blaser

"Why did these people not know about this? What a shady purchase...one dollar?! Even though there are hazardous waste plants, how many things really just get thrown away in the trash can in the garage?" -Shaun Blaser

"Yes I am. While we have made progress and cut down on the instances of tragedies due to manufacturing, there is still a great deal of room for improvement." -Steven Mitchell

"So do these tragedies continue in this century?
I vaguely remember hearing about the Love Canal stories as a child.
Obviously, I don't remember too much, but after watching the video I am impressed with the mom who took action.
I hope that I would be bold enough to do so, especially when my children's lives were at risk.
It is a blessing to have the EPA in place to help safeguard against the potential of things such as this from happening again.
Right here in our city, there is a huge subdivision/community built (beginning in the late 80's on the outskirts of
town around the outside of what used to be the city landfill. On the dump site itself are beautiful soccer fields.
There are thousands of homes, 2 schools, and a couple of churches all built on this property.
I wonder how well the contaminates were contained before construction began,
and if there is ongoing testing to insure that there is no leeching into the ground or water that services that community." -Melanie Mitchell



"I know it happens today. It doesn't come as a surprise to me at all.
I know I am guilty of disposing of oil or gasoline into the ground when I am out in the back yard working on a project or equipment.
I think of farmers, and I doubt they carefully collect all of their hazardous waste and dispose of it properly, especially if they live far away from disposal sites. They probably just bury it. Even though Hazmat collection sites are plentiful, I'm sure not all household hazardous wastes are taken to drop off sites. Much probably ends up in trash cans and is hauled off to the landfills." -Greg Mitchell


"The fact that this could happen and is happening today is atrocious. Laws need to be passed and investigations conducted. The sad part of this is that it not only has potential to hurt those who were directly affected but the generations to come. Lingering affects and mutations to genes do to the chemical contamination will continue to become evident and has to potential to have consequences for years down the road. You hear about the radiation poisoning and chemical affects due to nuclear testing years ago but chemical wastelands such as the love canal are often passed over. I had no idea such chemical landfills existed and I hope that any other landfills are begging properly cared for and not just covered up today." -Haley Dusseau


My comments:

1). Based on the impact environmental tragedies affect you/your family how likely are you to take action against disasters like this one? 
Now that I know that environmental disasters can be all around us, I will take the opportunity when I can to protect against disasters. I didn't realize the destruction and effects that it can cause in a community. 

2). Why should we care about something that happened over 30 years ago?
Even though some tragedies are in the past, it is still important to keep them in mind. This is the case when we are thinking about how to prevent other disasters from occurring and to learn from history what not to do. Some may still be suffering from the aftermath of tragedies that happened years ago. 

3). Were you aware that environmental tragedies of this magnitude still exist today?
From the feedback that I received, I realized that not many are educated that environmental tragedies are a concern. If everyone cared enough to make a difference, then that could spread into a worldwide cause of prevention. It is important to be aware that tragedies in the environment do happen.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome post.I am felling glad on this article.Can you more sahre at here.I will come back as soon.



    Thanks for more info.....






    Pure Argan Oil

    ReplyDelete