Saturday, April 13, 2013

Ryan Anderson

For this assignment, I posted an article about the Gulf of Mexico oil spill and also the video about the Love Canal incident on my Facebook page, and heard a number of various responses.

1) I heard about what happened in the Gulf of Mexico, but I have never heard of the Love Canal
2) The Love Canal was diseased... (insert sexual joke here)
3) What happened to the company behind the Love Canal?
4) Those poor animals!
5) I hope those people got everything they could from that company
6) I've seen that video on a few people's feed, now.  Is this thing going viral?
7) The kids that lived there are going to have to live with those problems for the rest of their lives.  This disgusts me.
8) Wow, I had no idea these things happen.  It really makes me wonder how many of these have happened without us even hearing about it.
9) Would they really think that there wouldn't be any problems with a place that was bought for $1?!
10) This is why we have landfills.  So things like this don't happen.

My responses:

Environmental tragedies still exist today; what can we do today to mitigate these problems?

- I feel as if the media would play a major role in these tragedies.  If these events are hidden away, then there will be more corporations that allow these things to occur from lack of awareness.


Were you aware that environmental tragedies of this magnitude still exist today? 

-  Being from Las Vegas, I remember there being a huge issue surrounding Yucca Mountain.  The government wanted to put nuclear waste there, and the people were adamant about that not happening because they were afraid of a leak into our water supply or a number of other possibilities.  However, I was not aware that those kinds of things actually occurred.

Why should we care about something that happened over 30 years ago? 

- We should care about these kinds of events, no matter how long ago they happened, because if we don't learn from history, then we are doomed to repeat it.  Certain regulations need to be put in place to make sure that events like this do not happen again.  If they do, any one of us could be at risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment