Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Jaren Nelson - Love Canal Comments


Reactions to Love Canal Video:
Marty Christensen seems like they turned a blind eye to it as long as they could because I mean $1 is a really good deal to build a school. Don't drink the water? Clearly no regulations back then caused this to happen. It seems like after it snowed and the black stuff literally hit the wall, we did what we could but the damage was done and lot of the damage was something you can't reverse like health defects. Then we spent tons of money to try and fix it.

Jentry Nelson AND....Why didn't the government do more back when this all started to try and contain the problem before it could spread? I sure hope that something like this doesn’t happen again..


Zachary Morris Oh my goodness! I can't believe a school was built there!

Cameron Harper Its interesting that one mistake by a company became a domino effect throughout the area. Cost 900 families their homes and also millions of dollars worth of damage for the city.

Janna Erickson Nelson Very interesting...I watched part 2 as well. Sad story.

Preston Bishoff Unreal. This is terrible

Jeni Harper This is horrible!

Kassie Nelson  It's incredible to see the health effects of toxic waste dumping that occurred over a century ago... I watched part 2 as well, and even though they are trying to clean it up, I'd never want to live there!

Alli Furniss So sad! I too admire Lois Gibbs, for what she did. This is horrible! Crazy how all that is waste. I'm glad they are trying to do something about it!

Jeff Nelson Why would anyone use a swimming hole for disposal of industrial waste?? I really admire Lois Gibbs as a concerned mother and community member for stepping up and doing something about the "black goop" that was making her son sick!


My questions/answers:
1.     In your opinion are environmental hazards something we should be concerned about on a daily basis.

Yes, I feel that each one of us should be conscious about how we personally contribute to environmental hazards. If companies also took this approach, I feel that there would fewer tragedies today. It only takes one person or company to cause a huge environmental hazard.

2.     Why should we care about something that happened over 30 years ago?

We should care about things that happened over 30 years ago because often times, it takes time for things that occur in the environment to become a health hazard.  In the Love Canal, an entire community was built before any adverse effects even presented themselves.

3.     Do you believe that environmental crises affect you/your family today?

Yes. Environmental crises do affect my family and me everyday. For example, a huge oil spill can raise gasoline costs, or a possible e-coli spread can directly affect the immediate health of all of us. Being aware of what is going on in our world and environment is very important.


The other article I posted was about the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2013/04/as_third_anniversary_of_bp_oil.html#incart_river

No comments:

Post a Comment