Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Camille Brown- Love Canal Report


The other article I found was about cleaning the air and reducing greenhouse gas emissions, particularly methane emissions from the U.S. natural gas systems.  


Were you aware that environmental tragedies of this magnitude still exist today?

1. Yes I was already aware that places like Love Canal still exist. Many toxic areas are just under the surface and I assume we will read about more of them as time goes by. It makes you want to thoroughly investigate the places we choose to live in.

2. It's really scary to think about. Actually the town of Ruston next to Point Defiance adjacent to the Asarco chemical plant was kind of a mess. It took about 30 years to clean up that plant. The Puget Sound was a very polluted body of water for many years because of plants like Asarco. Then there is the Hanford nuclear site in eastern WA which is still a clean-up nightmare and one of the most polluted sites in the nation.

3. I had no idea that areas like this in our country existed! Makes me wonder more about the area I live in or will live in the future.

4. There are far too many sites like this around the world. Pollutants often effect the environment for decades which also adversely affects the population for decades. I am aware sites like this still exist.

In your opinion, are environmental hazards something we should be concerned about on a daily basis?

5. Yes. If our population is already dying off and not taking care of our environment enough as it is, we need to do all that we can protect what life we still have left.
6. No. Concern does nothing. I acknowledge that there may be a significant issue at hand, but worrying about it accomplishes nothing. We must either be willing to act or hold our peace. Ways in which we could act is writing letters to legislators, campaigning for change, and/or using our resources to effect that change. The real question should be: do we care and are we motivated enough to seek change ourselves? Or are we just going to sit around and complain about it? I support proper disposal of chemicals, but I am not currently willing to seek to effect the change myself. Therefore, I will not raise my voice against it until I feel strongly enough about it to seek to be a part of the solution. Complaining and worrying (being concerned daily) accomplishes nothing. If I am not willing to be a part of the solution, I do not believe I have the right to complain about it. 

7. Environmental hazards should not be thought of on a daily basis. Those whose job it is to oversee environmental hazards should of course, but I see nothing beneficial from chronically worrying about whether or not your home is built upon a chemical dump as was the case in Love Canal. Humans have the tendency to recall unique experiences as being common because they stick out in our minds. However, for most of us, environmental hazards are not daily occurrences. As always though, we should be responsible citizens. Properly disposing of waste, conscious water usage, and keeping track of local natural disasters are things we should be mindful of on a daily basis.

8. I feel environmental hazards are something people do not pay enough attention to. Although I am not sure it is something we need to worry about on a daily basis, I feel people should be more concerned of how their actions affect the environment.

9. They are very important and we should worry about them, even if not on a daily basis. I think that most people will not really run into a problem with them, but should be aware that they exist and avoid them. I think that people need to be more careful when they see things like that their house is built on a chemical waste dump site. Those people knew that their houses were built on one and didn't think to question how much it affected their health. I think that people just need to be cautious and more aware of their surroundings.

10. I agree that environmental hazards are something we ought to consider before we take certain life-course altering actions like buying a home. That's something we can easily pick out of the article. But do we also need to be aware of the health hazards right now and on a daily basis? I would say don't stress over it too much, but yeah, keep it in mind. It's just like watching out for exercise and diet. While I don't think we have to worry about barrels of toxic waste floating up from under BYU campus, (although I have heard the Maeser building was built on an exhumed grave) it's good to consider things like air quality when deciding whether or not to go on your run outside or on the track in the RB.

My Responses:

Based on the impact environmental tragedies affect you/your family how likely are you to take action against disasters like this one?
I have not personally been affected by any environmental tragedies, but in reading my mom’s response to the article I found she noted that the Puget Sound in Western Washington- near my home- has actually fallen victim to some immense environmental hazards. I had no idea. Though I am not quite sure how I can help yet, I am willing to learn more and raise awareness in our community.

How do environmental tragedies affect you on a daily basis? Why should we care about them?
We may not experience environmental tragedies on the daily basis, but we are affected each and every day by environmental influences. Thus, we must care about them enough in order to make sure that small environmental concerns do not escalate into tragedies. Every day we are exposed to environmental hazards such as bad air coming from factories and cars, and if we do not limit them or control the way in which they are handled, tragedies will occur.

Why should we care about something that happened over 30 years ago?
Although the Love Canal environmental disaster has been long time resolved, it is very important to be educated about history so that we can learn from it. A lot of what we have learned about public health is that no one really notices the workers until something goes wrong. Sadly, it took such an awful tragedy to wake people and realize the extent of the problem. By informing others about such tragedies, we can keep more problems like these from occurring again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment