Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Dallin Dickerson Love Canal Post



Reactions to the Love Canal Video:

1. Astonishment. I did not know that the whole anti toxic waste movement happened around then. And I thought that figures. Its interesting to know.

2. I thought it was very, very, good, no, it was effective.  I feel like it was very one sided and didn't represent Hooker. Even though they were wrong.  It didn't provide the opposite side of the story.

3.  I need more information on the company and how new the chemical industry.  

4. I thought it was pretty creepy.  I think that the people were victims

5. I thought it looked really creepy and wouldn't want it to happen to me.  And if I found out that it was happening somewhere around me I'd be freaked out.  

6.  That's disgusting.  I can't believe that people can be so inconsiderate about what they are dumping into the environment.

For another disaster, I read about the pesticide plant in Bhopal, India.  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster

My reaction about these kinds of things are still happening today.
I read about the Union Carbide pesticide plant in Bhopal, India, resulted in 45 tons of poisonous methyl isocyanate escaping from the facility which resulted in the death of 15,000 people and caused health complications of over a half a million people.  I blows my mind that we use such toxic chemicals.  And if they aren't regulated they can kill thousands of people.
Based on the impact environmental tragedies affect you/your family how likely are you to take action against disasters like this one?
I want to live in a cabin up in the mountains away from everyone and all the toxic air and chemicals that surround me.  The more I become aware of different chemicals and outbreaks the more paranoid it makes me about how my body is being effected by such harsh chemicals.  And once I have kids running around they are so much more susceptible to the negative effects being exposed to toxic chemicals
Were you aware that environmental tragedies of this magnitude still exist today? 
No, I had no idea.  That many people dead and never hearing about it makes me wonder about all the different issues that we face and don't hear about.  Or don't even make it to the news.  And even more intriguing are the ones that people seek to cover up so that they aren't held accountable for their actions.
                                                                                           Dallin Dickerson

No comments:

Post a Comment