Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Love Canal assignment - Ben Snow



Ben Snow
Were you aware that environmental tragedies of this magnitude still exist today?
I was aware of the occurrence of environmental disasters in this day and time. However, these occurrences quickly fade from mind due to the distance I feel between myself and them. It is easy to forget a disaster when one is not directly involved or injured.

To what degree do environmental tragedies affect you/your family on a day to basis?
Many times we tend to think that environmental tragedies would never directly harm or affect us. I have never before been in an environmental situation where I have felt that my health or safety were in peril. However, seeing tragedies like this one can awaken us to the reality of the disasters. Whether they affect us personally, or only others, we all have the responsibility to make this world a safer place.

Based on the impact environmental tragedies affect you/your family how likely are you to take action against disasters like this one?
The unfortunate aspect of having little exposure to disasters means that we often become indifferent to the tragedies. We believe that we personally are immune to whatever effects might come from a certain situation. Because of this we tend to avoid action and continue with our current opinions and actions. In all honesty, I would probably be slow to take action against disasters like this one, due to the fact that I have never personally seen their consequences.

1.      Um, I'm not sure. Day to day I would say not that much. But maybe I'm just unaware of all that goes on

2.      I'm not sure that things like this affect me too much personally. A lot of it due to me being unaware.

3.      They do not really seem to affect me personally on a day to day basis because they are not having a direct impact on my life, only more of a secondary one (i.e. rising gas prices, etc.)

4.      I think I'm more affected by news of environmental tragedies than the environmental tragedies themselves. I'm sure I'm economically affected somehow, but I'm really not aware of that.

5.      I don't think that any single environmental disaster affects me directly... I think the effects trickle down to be marginal, but regardless, we should be aware of how our decisions affect the environment and strive to make ethical decisions on principle.

6.      They mostly affect us economically. I have never been that closely involved with any of these tragedies, but the aftermath of every single one of them raises some sort of tax or cost of something due to certain resources being lost and/or damaged.

7.      Environmental tragedies affect me mostly in the way of being reported over and over on the news until I want to punch someone. That, and it causes people to make videos that I later have to comment on.

8.      I can't really think of an environmental tragedy that has affected me or my family (knock on wood), at least not directly. It seems like events such as oil spills will only affect a small percentage of people over their lifetime, but the people who are affected by it suffer severe consequences.

9.      I'm sure they affect me more than I realize, but directly they don't seem to have much of an effect.... yup. Same goes for mi familia. Doesn't seem like environmental "tragedies" occur around me on a day-to-day basis... plus I don't keep up with the news much, which I should.

10.  I would have to say that personally for me I have not had to deal with environmental disasters in the United States. I was however part of cleanup project for a natural disaster that happened in Peru in spring 2012. So, a couple missionaries and I helped clean up from a mudslide that had happened and had destroyed several homes and left about 600 people homeless. It personally did not affect my companion or I but I was affected by it. It is a real problem and something that we should be aware of to help other people who are struggling with it more directly.

No comments:

Post a Comment