Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Lauren Poet: Love Canal and BP Oil Spill

Lauren Poet

Hi! Here is what I put on Facebook:

HI Everone! Please read the attached article and answer the following question. In your opinion are environmental hazards something we should be concerned about on a daily basis??
http://www.howstuffworks.com/environmental/energy/deepwater-horizon-oil-spill.htm

Hello! Here are the comments I got! And My responses to the 3 questions!

1. I THINK that we should be concerned because all those environmental hazards might seem minimal right now, but they will increase in hazard and they will affect us in the long run.

2. The real tragedy is that this is normal for us. We hear about oil spills all the the time. If you go out and ask someone "did you hear about the oil spill?" a reasonable response will be "Which one?" and the environment should be a daily concern for every individual. Take Utah for instance. The inversion/smog effect is a completely normal factor during the winter. It is assimilated in our daily lives. We never stop and think "hey! that's weird. Every winter I am literally breathing in poison!" No, instead we consider that to be normal. That's horrifying.

3. The main reason there should be concern is because everything is connected. There is no such thing as an isolated environment. This is especially true with oceans, the currents could take this oil all over the globe. There are two things in this worldthat no one owns but every one feels their effect: the atmosphere and the ocean. The ocean is also a source of many people livelihoods, plus a food source. what happen when we eat fish that has been living in oil contaminated water? some of that gets into our system and does damage.

4. I think there should be concern because often times, we do something without thinking of the consequences of our actions. Sure, we need oil but are we absolutely sure that we are being completely responsible in the way that we obtain it. I think there needs to be some reform. 

5. I think we should be very concerned. Something that might seem as a simple thing that won't impact the environment that much, may add up to a much greater problem and cost environmental disasters.

6. We should show concern about these things, but the average person thinks o thats awful! An oil spill! Hope someone fixes that! and then moves on with their life. So no we shouldn't be concerned on s daily basis. People should be more concerned about things they can control like conserving water and energy, recycling, walking more driving less, and not littering. Imagine if everyone in the world did better at these things.

7. I don't think we should be concerned about environmental hazards on a daily basis, for one main reason - 1) Me worrying about it every day has exactly one result: raised stress levels for me. I don't have any control over environmental disasters.

8. Yes! We shouldn't freak out every day that the oceans will rise and the animals will die, but we ought to be concerned about it in the fact that we make choices to mitigate more hazards, like recycling and carpooling.

9. Absolutely. We only have ONE earth. If we mess it up, there is no way to start over or simply get a new one. What we do to the environment now has huge consequences down the road, and not as far down the road as some people think. If everyone does a little bit, we can save the environment. The problem is, most people aren't willing to do just a little bit. ALL ecosystems impact our quality of life.

10. I'd like to stop the continuation of hazards, and clean up our planet.

And My responses to the 3 questions! 

1. In your opinion are environmental hazards something we should be concerned about on a daily basis??
         I think that perhaps on a daily basis is too extreme. We should defintiely be aware of them. However, no matter what we do to prevent it, if something bad does happen, we shouldn't panic about it. I believe we should remain calm and try to fix the situation. If we are constantly worrying about it, we may become overwhelmed and even fall into despair because there is still so much that needs to be improved on. That being said, however, I do believe it is a good thing to be cautious about such disasters so that we can be prepared for them and also prevent them. If everyone takes small steps and respects nature and those around them, then I think we can prevent more disasters such as Love Canal. Everyone just has to do there part, but we shouldn't freak them out into doin their part. 

2Based on the impact environmental tragedies affect you/your family how likely are you to take action against disasters like this one?
         Not going to lie, if my family is involved, it is a big deal. I would do almost anything to protect my family, so if I thought that they were in trouble, I would definitely do something to protect them and protest what was going on. I would take preventive measures, make sure my family knows the danger of the situation. Like I said, my family is extremely important, so I would take every possible preventive action to protect them if I thought they were in any sort of potential danger. 

3. Why should we care about something that happened over 30 years ago?
              I think we should be concerned about events that happened 30 years ago because they keep us prepared. If we forget about tragedies such as the love canal, we may repeat the same mistakes. So, by reminding ourselves of the horrors of disasters such as Love Canal, we remind ourselves of the importance of being prepared and the importance of preventing such disasters. No one wants to make that kind of mistake again, and remember helps us to realize that and to prevent more mistakes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment