Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Abraham Kim-Love Canal

Chase Wheeler My feedback is that you are my 3rd friend to do this. haha. I think you all have the same teacher, and your teacher doesn't understand social media. bahah. Does that count as feedback?
Honestly though, that article is too long for me to read/care but from what i skimmed, sounds bad. And hope it doesnt hurt the great lakes. Hopefully those Canadians can help protect those lakes eh?

Justin Graf Interesting articles. I had never heard of the Love Canal Tragedy, but it sounds like one stupid mistake after another! It also really makes me want to do research before living anywhere. As far as the nuclear fallout in Japan, my understanding is that the government responded extremely well to it with evacuations, minimilizing the amount of radiation to the point that not a single member of the population should have been significantly affected (other than the plant workers, of course). We just talked about that in my physics class today, actually. In answer to your questions- I'm not sure that environmental tragedies do affect me on a daily basis, at least not in a very significant way (except maybe radon in buildings). The problem with the tragedies is that you don't ever know when or where they are going to happen- so when they do you're in trouble. We should obviously care about them and try to do research about where we live so we can know what kind of tragedies to expect, minimizing the chances we have to receive harmful effects from them.

Jordan Liau-I don't want to come off as a tree hugger, cause I'm not - I'm all for industry and progress. BUT when that industry and progress comes at the PRICE of the environment, that's where I take issue. You've only given two examples of environmental tragedies; however, there are so many more that sometimes we don't ever take note of or hear of until we see the effects of that industrial waste; often times several years down the line. Yes, they don't affect me directly ... but the indirect effects through ecosystem change can and do have an effect. One example of that is if water supplies are contaminated through industrial discharge, say outside a plant in Japan along the coast - fish supplies are affected as they have to adjust to a new range/ecosystem - they are no longer edible and fit for human consumption, they may bioaccumulate toxins that are introduced further up the food chain as larger predators eat them cumulating in humans - or because those fish are no longer safe, fishing grounds move forcing shifts in the system which can and do lead to price inflations as supply struggles to meet demand.

Ryan Kowalk That Love Canal story is crazy! I honestly never would have thought about inspecting the safety of a piece of land before purchasing it. Tack one more on my worry list.

Eric Bendall Seriously who thinks of doing that! But now I know, inspect first!

Camille-I didn't even know that happened. I feel bad for the people who had to go through that. I just hope it never happens to me 

Jeremy-that's why regulations and background checks are so important. People also need to not be so casual in their jobs so when they make their inspections things that could of been prevented would. 

Stott-I never heard of it. 

Caleb-Personally I think that all of this could have been avoided if people focused on actually helping people instead of making money. 

Scott-That sucks, as long as it never happens to me that's all I care about. 

1)To what degree do environmental tragedies affect you/your family on a day to day basis?
there really isn't any big environmental tragedies my family and I have to go through. Possibly the greatest ones we have to deal with is radon in the basement and inversion smog in the winters. 
2)Why should we care about something that happened over 30 years ago? 
Simple, if we do no learn from the past then we are doomed to repeat it. 
3)Based on the impact environmental tragedies affect you/your family how likely are you to take action against disasters like this one?
 For me, it would be careful searching of homes. Location, history, potential hazards like earthquakes, landslides, floods, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment