Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Brittney Frehner--Love Canal Report

I posted the link http://healthland.time.com/2013/04/09/car-pollution-linked-to-childhood-cancers/ which talks about the pollution from cars and how it is linked to cancers in children. I then asked IN YOUR OPINION ARE ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS SOMETHING WE SHOULD BE CONCERNED ABOUT ON A DAILY BASIS?  These are the comments that I received:

-To answer your question: yes, environmental hazards are something we should be concerned about on a daily basis. Some of my classes have steered me towards this subject. More or less, the pollution they discuss in the article (PAHs) is more of a carbon emission than a particulate. Particulate pollution began to decrease in many areas beginning in the 1970s, however carbon emissions have not. Because of these carbon emissions, we are facing rapid anthropogenic (human-caused) climate change and a high occurrence of diseases related to these hydrocarbons.


-I am not concerned with environmental hazards on a daily basis.  why... because I don't think there is anything that I can do about it.

-We should be concerned about the hazards posed to our environment on a daily basis because every little bit adds up. It only takes the oxidation of one cell from inhaling carcinogens one time to begin carcinogenesis. While the probability is low, every little bit helps.

acid mine drainage, contaminated waters, sterile soils, collapsing structures, hazardous shafts and adits, highwalls, mine fires, air pollution, erosion, residential flooding. These are some of the affects cause by mining in Montana. Most if the mines I believe are closed but the environment has been affected by it. I do believe some health issues also come in consequence in damaging the environment.

-Yes, it is very hazardous when there is a dog dropping in the grass and i step on it and slip. Such a terrible occurrence, just terrible.

-In reality, we should be concerned about environmental hazards on a daily basis and we should be doing things to lessen them and prevent them that way they don't pile up and cause a huge outbreak, BUT there is nothing that I can personally do about it. So I don't give a flying fart. 

-yes, exhaust from different types of vehicles, pollution, garbage, chemical spills, water contamination, etc. are hazardous to all living things as they contaminate the air we breathe.

-I believe that we should be concerned but its really up to the government and government programs to be able to do anything. I personally can't do anything. I mean it's not like I'm going around contaminating things and throwing chemicals around but I will make an effort to stay away from things that I know are to be harmful to myself and others. 

-I think that its very important that we monitor the state of the environment. Our health and safety depends on it. Our lives and the future of our children depend on it. I don't want any crazy stuff to happen. We still need to live. 

-yes, because of our environmental and health issues. There are the fumes from vehicles and factories that are polluting our air and causing health issues and its also damaging the Ozone layer. Chemicals and paints etc, that enter our water system, oil spills that contaminate our water, and the hazard to our environment and the animals. not to mention all the liter that gets dumped everywhere. We should be concerned. 

-Yes, i think that it is important for us to be involved in our communities to prevent health disasters from spreading/worsening.

My responses:
Why should we care about something that happened over 30 years ago? Well, we obviously need to learn about it and know what happened so that we don't let it happen again. We should care because it something that harmed our world, environment, and people. That could have been you or me. 

In your opinion are environmental hazards something we should be concerned about on a daily basis? I think that we should be concerned about the things that we are doing and putting into our environment and bodies. These things will add up and if we are not continuously consciously aware an active about it, it's going to be really difficult when the time comes to clean up the disaster. 

To what degree do environmental tragedies affect you/your family on a day to basis? Well, it's hard to say exactly how it affects us but it sure does and is. The air we breathe, the water we drink, and the things we do and places we go all add to this affect. There really is no way to get around it but it is dangerous. We need to be careful and most importantly be aware of the dangers. The rest is up to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment