Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Chelsey Clark: Love Canal Environmental Tragedy

Here is the post I posted on facebook: 



The comments posted were as followed: 

1) That's sad. Sad that something preventable is taking lives, and causing such issues.
2) That was a little upsetting to me that someone would keep polluting the water when it is harming animals and children.
3) I like how at the end they explained the relevance of the organization formed to monitor thing like this. It is sometimes hard to draw the line in events like this in exactly how the government should be involved. 
4)It is a bit frustrating that companies producing hazardous waste don't take the time, money, of effort to make sure the waste is disposed of safely. Sacrificing these things should come before sacrificing lives. 
5) It is sad that this is something that is very serious and that could be prevented but yet nothing is being done  to prevent the pollution that is happening.
6) How scary! Someone didn't do their homework. I guess that the scariest part about it is that it happens all the time everywhere. I'm pretty sure there's got to be a better way to handle it...
7) Oh how sad! It's horrible that on mistake led to something that cannot be reversed. Nothing can compensate for the affects on their family and children. 
8) I agree with the above comments. That's appalling. 
9)  I wouldn't say this is just sad, I think that this is a horrifying situation. I can't imagine moving into what seems like a nice little community but then having to evacuate only after children are forever hurt. The worst part for me is how preventable something like this can be, if people would just be less greedy and more aware of the consequences of their actions.  
10) I think it's scary how the city built so many homes and schools on the contaminated group without even thinking about the future consequences . People cut so many corners and use their greed to justify things that will affect generations to come.

My response:

In your opinion are environmental hazards something we should be concerned about on a daily basis?

Yes. I absolutely think that environmental hazards are something to be a very big concerned about. Just as the example in the Love Canal Tragedy if we would have been more concerned this could have been prevented and families and generations would not be affected by this awful tragedy. I do believe there are things that may not be able to be prevented and things we can not stress and worry about. However, if we take the precaution to prevent things it will save many peoples lives and the environment.

Based on the impact environmental tragedies affect you/your family how likely are you to take action against disasters like this one?

If environmental tragedies were affecting me or my family I would defiantly take action. I would do everything in my power to protect my family and other families around me. However, I think that it is important to take action before tragedies happen and be aware of issues that may occur today. We should protect our family and friends now getting everyone aware of issues that we need to worry about.  

 Why should we care about something that happened over 30 years ago?

I think it is really important to learn from our past experiences in order for our society to grow. I also think that by looking at tragedies that happen over 30 years ago is a great way to inform the society of how environmental issues impact our lives. Lots of time it takes years to get the news around the world and for a large amount of people to hear about the society.  

I





No comments:

Post a Comment