Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Hannah Tull

To what degree do environmental tragedies affect you/your family on a day to day basis? Where I come from in Idaho I am not aware of any serious environmental problems except for in the summer time we have fires which are a threat. It is not something that is on my mind constantly but it should be something to be aware of and cautious of. 

Environmental tragedies still exist today; what can we do today to mitigate these problems? We can be more aware of our surroundings and be more cautious in how we dispose of stuff or how we store it. 

Why should we care about something that happened over 30 years ago? We learn from history and we don't want something so terrible to happen again to us. We can learn from past mistakes so that future generations don't have the same problems. 




Were you aware that environmental tragedies of this magnitude still exist today?

Rochelle:  did not know about the buried bombs but I was aware of the love canal issues after I watched a movie about it. So I guess my answer is no I did not know that environmental issues of this magnitude existed today except in the food industry.

David:  I did read the article and saw the videos and I'm not terribly surprised. A good friend of mine works for a clean up crew that helps with anything from a tard of a farmer that buries all of his animals' poo in a field and it almost contaminates an entire city's groundwater, to industrial and gas clean ups all over the country. It takes foresight and quick response to prevent and mitigate potential environmental disasters like this from gov agencies and multiple private companies.

Lynne: I was aware of the Love Canal because I lived not too far from there (Buffalo NY). Growing up my dad would always tell me stories about the burns children would get after playing in puddles, and the birth defects that came from people living in the houses there. But I do believe that its scary in several cases. I agree with Sarah on the fact that I think society is ignorant and that these problems will continue to rise. 

Jessie: I wasn't aware of these in particular, but it doesn't surprise me that these sorts of things exist. People are extremely lazy and don't take into account that their actions can affect millions of people down the road. They don't care because it doesn't affect them at that time. I can't help but think of Wall-E and Contagion haha. We are producing so much waste and really have nowhere to put it. I think a lot of these things are caused simply because people aren't informed of the impact little things can make.

Kara L:  I was aware of that environmental tragedies of this magnitude still exist today. I took a national parks class here at BYU and one of our projects is to research a problem facing national parks.

Kara T: I was aware of these environmental stories. I think the worst one in "my time" was the Exxon Valdez Oil spill. Horrible.

Maddie:  I guess I knew that things like that happened sometimes, but I didn't know that it was that intense. I have never heard of the Love Canal, but I did know that there were some crazy things left over from wars. It seems to me that we should definitely be working toward finding solutions to these crazy problems!

Liz: I was aware that issues regarding bombs and stuff still existed because of experiences from places that I have lived in. With the love canal situation, I knew that generally things like that could happen but I have learned about a real situation of it happening. That's crazy! And I can't believe that they don't really have a solution to problems like these. Maybe we should take a hint and stop making irreversible crazy chemicals!

Josh: Wow! That was super crazy and I had no idea stuff like this still happened today! Thanks for sharing!

Sarah:  I wasn't aware of all the environmental problems that still exist today. I know just from these videos, and articles that have been coming up that these environmental problems will continue to rise. I had no idea what the love canal was or the story that's behind it. I think it's important for people to realize these issues, but it's sad to say that most of society is ignorant (not really on purpose) when they claim they know about these problems or don't do anything about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment