Tuesday, April 9, 2013

M'Leah Ricker - Environmental Tragedies/Love Canal

My Response to Three Questions

Q: In your opinion are environmental hazards something we should be concerned about on a daily basis?

A: I definitely believe that environmental hazards are something to be concerned about. How concerned we should be is the real question. Though there have been numerous tragedies throughout history, the likelihood of a tragedy actually happening is not greatly imposing. Should we take precautions and follow regulations on keeping the environment safe? Absolutely, but I think that because these tragedies are few and far between, we just must deal with them as they come. We just need to be mindful of the fast-paced world movement toward technology, economic building, chemical usage, and human toxicities.  


Q: Based on the impact environmental tragedies affect you/your family how likely are you to take action against disasters like this one?

A: Based on the impact these tragedies have and how they affect me and my family, there isn't much that I feel like we would do to take action. Because these kinds of situations are out of our control, there isn't much I would react to unless it tangibly impacted my community, friends or family. Aside from donating to funds that are aiding the environment or people directly, I wouldn't be very adamant about taking action. 

Q: Do you believe that environmental crises affect you/your family today?

A: Yes, I believe that crises affect me and my family today. Though we are not in direct contact with the events, we are affected as citizens of the United States. When tragedies like this occur, the government intervenes and has some kind of financial responsibility for disasters here in the US. Those financial means come out of our own taxes – or our own pockets. When something impactful happens, such as the gulf oil spill, our environment is affected and we are part of the struggle to reorganize and figure out what to do next. 

...

Along with the Love Canal article, I posted an article from National Geographic, claiming that because the oil companies are using certain techniques, they are responsible for the recent earthquakes in Oklahoma. I posted them along with this caption: 

"These kinds of things are still happening today. Is this environmental hazard something we should be concerned about? "

Comments collected

     Facebook
  • Ashley T. Bliss I think it's unrealistic, given current technological limitations, to say that we need to stop fracking altogether right this moment (or even within the next few years.) However, if there is a proven link between wastewater injections and earthquakes (John Bredehoeft claims there is causation, but the studies cited in the article only show correlation) then that heightens the need to find alternate sources of energy and implement them quickly. Given that the initial rupture was within a mile of the well - fracking in the meantime should be focused near rural areas to minimize damage and injury. That's my two cents.


  • Robinne Dutson Booth Glad to help.....But I just cannot get it to open...do not know why...Yesterday at 12:11pm · Like

  • Lindsay Dutson Smith There needs to be more research done. Or possibly find a way to recycle the waste water and use it again?? From the info here though I don't think there is reason to stop fracking. Also, at the end of the article it says the Oklahoma Geological Survey in advance of Tuesday's study said its data show the earthquake was likely "the result of natural causes." I also just read a couple of articles suggesting that pumping water into fault lines can relieve pressure causing smaller quakes instead of an eventual huge quake. The fracking in this case could have prevented a larger quake. But we will never know 


  • Jody Johanna Wilson Jänislampi I am amazed that we can cause earthquakes for one. But it sounds like another case where people will most likely try to blame oil companies, when it's us that are to blame. Sure, oil companies should have safe practices, but we need to stop making such a demand for oil and stop using so much of it. Not that I'm not just as guilty as the next guy.


  • Josh Gottfredson Its crazy that humans can cause earthquakes


  • Rachel Chytraus Workinger "The occurrence of human-induced earthquakes is rare, but it is increasing." EWarthquakes are usually caused by natural causes and I tend to believe with living here in California that they are natural causes not human induced. Im sure water has to be an effect as the world is mostly made up of water. Everyone wants someone to blame for all problems lets face the fact that we need oil and Iran isnt full of earthquakes that I know of. They are by the water so I believe God is in control but we do need to do our own part to be our best and do our best where we live in ALL things!


    Conversations

    Danelle Ricker I don't think it's something we need to worry about in comparison with the Love Canal issue. I didn't realize this was happening though... it's pretty interesting that humans have that big of an impact on nature.

    Ashley Palmer I don't think fracking has anything to do with earthquakes. Earthquakes are mostly plate movement, and I don't think it has anything to do with that. 

    Dean Ricker What they're doing could possibly be affecting or creating environmental damage because of the high pressure they're using, but I don't think that kind of environmental damage is what's causing earthquakes. They're causing erosion and possibly weakening the ground, and the only thing I could think of is that that would be a danger for people living around wherever they're doing that. But no, I don't think it's that big of deal. It shouldn't be worried with. If they want to frack, let them frack!

    Erika Bunker  I just think that there needs to be more research done on it. The Love Canal stuff was crazy, and it was really big.  It might be a big deal in the future, like there might be a disaster from fracking in 50 years, but I'm pretty sure this isn't a disaster and these people are just wanting to blame someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment