Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Cameron Quist - Love Canal

I posted the "Please read the article and comment with your reaction. These kinds of things are still happening today." prompt with an article on a Korean plant that had a HF leak. The responses were as follows:


Face-to-face reactions.

I feel like more Americans would know about the Love Canal if we taught about it in other states. I think that we need to have more Love Canal – Sam

Propylene and uranium make propylanium, the most powerful substance in the universe. – Stefan

I thought it was lame that they went back and got the company in trouble (for things that were legal at the time). They had already sold the land and told them what was in it. – Spencer

That article was boring – Erica

AAAHHH! Love Canal! – Brandon

The CHILDREN! -Jason

Facebook reactions:
Li: This article has brought up some complicated questions for me. Is there any way to know which companies are responsible for dumping this material? Who gets to pay for the cleanup? How is the money going to used? What kinds of regulations are in place to make sure everything is done appropriately and efficiently? Is there any way to better regulate companies so that this doesn't continue to happen? Is there a better way to appeal to these companies to support the greater good of society?

Sara: That's awful. It sounds to me like the hardest thing to figure out is how to determine ownership of the waste and then how to find out where all these dumpsites are.

Curt:  I would like to approach this in two angles. One is my from a spiritual side and the other is from a temporal side. 

I had Brother Bott while at BYU so I can safely say that the millenium is coming. The scriptures have all been pointing to it occurrin
g very soon. (It hasn't gotten much attention this past session I am afraid). In Oaks talk in 2004 he said that we need to prepare for the Second Coming and that all sorts of natural disasters would come along with manmade calamities. I feel as though these polluting disasters are man's way of ushering in a quicker Second Coming. If anything, we need less regulations to make sure that the world is utterly destroyed quicker. It is only after it has been destroyed that it can be finally renewed.

Secondly, the free market is ultimately the only one that can clean up a mess. If there is a demand and if profit can be made from cleaning up the mess, then it should happen. If there is no profit, then I feel as though government resources shouldn't be wasted in stoping spiritual progression.


Kyle: I don't want to end up in a place where a careless or flagrantly irresponsible company had dumped and buried hazardous waste improperly. I don't know the details of how the law could work, but I would think if you have a company that has ownership of a problematic dumpsite, then they should inherit at least partial liability until they (the company) are able to track down who actually was responsible in the first place.

I would like to see the EPA have more power (hopefully accompanying increasing efficiency) to keep people safe. If the EPA can successfully regulate these selfish companies, it could help the chemical industry eventually gain a better reputation, which would be really nice.

The three questions I answered are: 

Were you aware that environmental tragedies of this magnitude still exist today?

      Yes, though I don't notice many in the states. The big problems that I hear about are more likely to occur in other (usually developing) countries.

Do you believe that environmental crises affect you/your family today?

     Well, I'm studying Chemical Engineering so it's very possible that I will have to deal with these things sooner or later. At the moment, I'm more concerned about the possibility of Radon contamination in my basement apartment.

In your opinion are environmental hazards something we should be concerned about on a daily basis. 

     Some people should be concerned about these things, but I think that really depends on what that person does and where they live. For example, if you live near a coal mine chemical hazards and other hazards related to that should be a daily concern. If your daily routines are not something that brings you in close proximity to dangerous things, then you probably shouldn't waste time worrying about it every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment