Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Melissa Tyler - Love Canal

Were you aware that environmental tragedies of this magnitude still exist today?

My link: http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2012/03/26/report-gulf-oil-spill-killed-life-deep-beneath-sea-level

Reactions:
Donna Tyler - I had no idea that was still happening! We need to take better care of our earth!
Rebekah Brown - Oh my gosh! I'm so scared to raise kids when these kinds of things are going on even when we don't know! Who knows what could still be going on out there. We need to get people more involved with this. Anybody wanna join us?
Ian Armstrong - People are so stupid. We just ruin our planet without even caring. The same thing is happening with the lake over there in Orem. It's just disgusting.
Bryan Kerr - Very interesting. I need to start keeping up on these things.
Amelia Prete - Oh that's so sad! All the little fishies :( 
Colby Miller -  Oh yeah, I remember this, me and my friends used to play in the radioactive waste at love canal. I no longer have feet and have to breathe through tubes in my ears. 
Damara Miller - How do we stop this from happening?? I'm so scared! I just wish people cared more about our environment and would start taking care of it.
Ted Nicholson - It's interesting to think about the many ways we can die because of our lack of control. This is always going on and half the people don't even  know about it.
Brooke Hall - Oh no :( I just want to beat these people up!
Jared Tumbleson - Freakin governement...WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!

My Response:
1.Based on the impact environmental tragedies affect you/your family how likely are you to take action against disasters like this one?
I would definitely want to take control or at least get involved. This type of stuff is really scary and extremely damaging to our families, especially children trying to develop in these types of situations. If I was living at Love Canal during that time, I would have moved immediately. There is no way I would let my kids (theoretically) live in a place like that!

2. In your opinion are environmental hazards something we should be concerned about on a daily basis.
Definitely! It's that lack of care for just one day that can cause something like this. The lack of care is what caused the waste company to decide they could just fill a beautiful swimming pool with toxic chemicals and then quickly cover it up like nothing happened. What if something like this is going on right now? We need to be prepared the second something like this is starting up so that we can stop it from happening! 

3. Why should we care about something that happened over 30 years ago?
Knowing the history of disasters like these can help us prevent them. It tells us what kinds of signs to look for and what types of things cause disasters like these. Knowing the history can show us what we need to change in order to bring it to a halt and to prevent it ever happening again. We've made the mistake before, let's not make it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment