Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Katrina Baquerizo: Love Canal Report

After reading a watching a video of the Love Canal environmental disaster I read an article about the
BP Oil Spill in the Gulf of Mexico and the reactions of the people I talked about it with were:

Were you aware that environmental tragedies of this magnitude still exist today?
 1. That is a horrible thing to happen and I did not know that this happen in our days.
2. You would think that after having all the technology and precautions we have now things like this one would not happen.
3. I knew that some times people make mistakes, but I was not aware that it could be so destroying.
4. I did not know that this could happen and if it happens frequently then we ourselves as human beings are destroying our own home.
5. I read and listen to the news everyday just to know if we are closer to controlling disasters like that or not and it saddens me to see that most of the time it is on the negative side.
6. There are time when I wonder if I just rather live in a bubble and not worry about these kinds of things.
7. It is sad to see that we as human beings are more careless about our own resources even in this time of advance knowledge.
8. I believe that with luck we will learn we time to control these things in a better way to the point that it will stop.
9. It amazes me that some people do not recognize the mistakes they make and try to cover it up.
10. Now that I know things like this happen often it is little wonder to me that pollution in any form is so hard to get rid of, if we do not make an effort to prevent it.

My reactions to the oil spill report are:

Do you believe that environmental crises affect you/your family today? 

I believe that any environmental crises affects everyone because that means that resources, land, air or anything that we could use as beneficial will not be available for us when we need it. It can endanger our health and the way we live.

Environmental tragedies still exist today; what can we do today to mitigate these problems?

I believe that taking more precautions would be something that can help us prevent problems with long lasting effects. Also, having more people to analyse before hand would be necessary to see all the possible scenarios to come. More than anything just being careful in every step of the way.

In your opinion are environmental hazards something we should be concerned about on a daily basis?

Yes, we should be concerned, but not panic about it. Some times there are things that we can not control, but for the most part we can be aware of the things that we need to know and do to prevent environmental hazards or at least be prepare if the occasion ever presents. It could be something big or something small, one does not know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment