Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Love Canal- Lindsey Downing


  • I posted the video of Love Canal and of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico and asked:

    In your opinion are environmental hazards something we should be concerned about on a daily basis?

    • Nate Jensen Because all individuals in society do not know how to properly dispose of hazardous substances, there will always be a concern. Some materials can be toxic or reactive and be a serious health problem to individuals. It is therefore important that governmental environment agencies in each community test soil and water samples as well as implement proper waste disposal plans to limit such hazards from being a concern. Although this will not entirely prevent all such events from occurring, such plans can help educate society as well as prepare agencies and individuals to act quickly in the case that an event were to occur.
      15 hours ago · Unlike · 1
    • Virgdant Breton If we aren't concerned with it now it'll be too late later.
      15 hours ago · Unlike · 1
    • Dallin Curtis Wilson I definitely think it is something that we need to worry about. I'm sure there are countless cases of people and companies disposing of chemicals illegally that we have no idea about. The effects it has people can be detrimental as well as with wildlife and vegetation. It definitely should be something of great concern.
      15 hours ago via mobile · Unlike · 1
    • Michelle Palmer Koerner There are many companies that produce hazardous chemicals and have disposed of them in ways that damaged others well being. If they are not responsible to someone - they will take the easy way out.
      15 hours ago · Unlike · 1
    • Derek Downing i dont think people should be concerned on a daily basis. waste needs to be and usually is disposed of properly and even though love canal happened I'm never worried it will happen anywhere I am.
      15 hours ago · Unlike · 1
    • Josh Balleck Personally I don't think it is something I need to/will worry about on a daily basis. However, I feel that in more industrial areas of the country it is something that they need to worry about.
      15 hours ago · Unlike · 1
    • Jessie Anderson I feel like it's not something you need to constantly worry about but it's definitely something to keep in mind. As long as you realize how to avoid or prevent environmental hazards and take the necessary steps you shouldn't really worry about it.
      14 hours ago · Unlike · 1
    • Michelle Hyoung I really hope that there are more regulations to prevent environmental hazards like this from reoccurring. Current industrial companies better not be dumping their chemical waste anywhere they want and allowing a school to be built right on top of it. I don't care if they gave a "warning." They should have cleaned it up and dealt with it themselves rather than selling the problem to be fixed by someone else. Makes me so mad!
      14 hours ago · Unlike · 1
    • Brett Stone I think this is a good example of why agencies like the EPA should exist. It's also true that the EPA can go too far, but I feel like we need to be able to find that balance. We've got to make companies and people be responsible, so it's good to remember things like this.
      14 hours ago · Unlike · 1
    • Jake Peterson I don't think I need to be concerned about it on a daily basis, but I feel like there definitely should be some people who are concerned about this stuff all the time. We can all do little things, I guess, to help the environment, but it's not the biggest concern on my personal list.
      13 hours ago · Unlike · 1


    My response:

    1. In your opinion are environmental hazards something we should be concerned about on a daily basis?
    • I think that we all need to be concerned to an extent. We all need to be concerned with the health of our environment and do our part to make sure that we live in a healthy place but we don’t need to always be worried and concerned that some huge disaster is going to happen. I think there are those who are responsible for big environmental issues and those people should be concerned on a daily  basis and doing their job to make sure that none of these disasters happen. I think if everyone is responsible for themselves and does there part then we shouldn’t have to worry.

      2. How do environmental tragedies affect you on a daily basis? Why should we care about them?

      I don’t think that all environmental tragedies affect me on a daily basis besides being sad about what I hear is going on. Obviously if there is something that happens near me then I would be personally affected but just because my life isn’t changed by a tragedy far away doesn’t mean that I shouldn’t care about it or do my best to help. It’s our responsibility as humans to help each other out so we should definitely care if there is an environmental disaster and do our best to help it.

      3. Why should we care about something that happened over 30 years ago?

      I think that we should care about something that happened over 30 years ago because those same things could happen today if we aren’t careful. It obviously is still affecting people’s lives today so of course we should still care. If we don’t care about what happened at Love Canal then what’s going to stop people from dumping hazardous waste in the ground tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment