Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Benjamin Lambson- Lova Canal

I researched an article that is actually very similar to the love canal tragedy. It takes place in Africa which is where I served my mission. The basis of the article was that they went to Africa to research modern environmental health hazards because Africa is a place where they are striving to become modernized and developed but they do not have appropriate safeguards for environmental health and it is having a huge affect on the well being of the people.

These kinds of things are still happening today! http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2702398/

Were you aware that environmental tragedies of this magnitude still exist today?

These were the responses I obtained through Facebook and phone calls.

1. Nick-  What will it take for these things to stop? I don't think businesses are going to fix it themselves, and the government is rarely an effective way to get things done...

2. Landon- I wasn't until I took Health 100 its a great class

3. Emily-  how am i to know if I'm living on a time bomb? how educated and informed should society expect itself to be? it's my responsibility to make sure i don't live on toxic garbage, right? or is it?

4. Tyler- Shouldn't the government be responsible for the land upon which buildings and schools and houses are built so that this doesn't happen?

5. Deanna- Government is too centralized to be able to work like that. Unless they give states power and work with local authorities it is not going to happen. We need to be able to educate ourselves on these things. Thanks for posting.

6. John-  It's crazy that these kinds of preventable tragedies are still occurring. It's quite sad really.

7. Amy-  I agree with @John. I am glad that it hasn't affected my own personal health but I'm sure it has hurt so many others out there. I really have no idea how we can businesses or government to help us out here. They just want money.

8. Peter- That stinks... literally.

9. Levi-  I had no idea that things like this were happening today. That is kinda scary. How can I find out about the area where I live? I heard weird things about albion being built on radon or something. 

10. Don- The hard part about these environmental cases is that we as citizens don't see them coming until they explode. Unless we werk in the environmental safety occupation it is hard for us to really do anything. We just have to hope that they do their job so that we can stay safe and healthy.


My own reaction to three of the questions:

1.  In your opinion are environmental hazards something we should be concerned about on a daily basis?
- I think that we should at least be aware of these hazards as a whole. It is good to be informed about these things so that e can act on them if any issues come up that are local. That way we can help prevent some crazy illnesses and tragedies in our own neighborhoods.

2. Why should we care about something that happened over 30 years ago?
-We should care because similar things still happen today. It's hard to believe at first but after researching the topic, looking for articles and reading class mates articles it is surprising how common it is in our modern society today. We need to care about it because if we don't history tends to repeat itself. That would be horrible. Get informed and act on these issues.

3. How do environmental tragedies affect you on a daily basis? Why should we care about them?
-They affect me on a daily basis in that I haven't had exposure to one yet so I am healthy. I am healthy on a daily basis which is wonderful. But whose to say that it will not happen to me or to someone I love. Unless we are informed about this we can do nothing. It affects so many others out there with birth defects and radiation that it is unfathomable. We need to care about these things for our health and the health of our families and the nation and world as a whole.



No comments:

Post a Comment