Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Love Canal Report - Keaton Cullimore

-Keaton Cullimore       Please read the article To what degree do environmental tragedies affect you/your family on a day to day basis? http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56208839-78/pollution-utah-unhealthy-association.html.csp

Kirk Cullimore: 
Most large environmental events affect me in my pocketbook. The cost of products goes up whenever there is a problematic event. In AZ, we have natural occurring environmental events like the haboobs. These massive dust storms create a mess which takes days to clean up.
 Thayne Cullimore:
I'm affected in a couple ways. I have noticed I get more congested in my sinuses and chest during times when the is a high amount of dust or smog. Additionally, during the dust storms in Arizona, I have often had to drive in those and that is a potential safety concern.

Sandi Cullimore:
Luckily no one in our family has asthma or other breathing problems that occur when the inversions happen...but I have friends who were sick for 6-8 weeks because of the poor air quality this last winter in Utah! Here in AZ, we get these wild dust storms...that mostly affect me because of what a mess they make of everything!!

Kira Firzlaff:
I actually think that the poor air quality in Salt Lake has affected me quite a bit. Although my health isn't suffering greatly, I do believe that I get sick more often from the pollution. I have quite a few friends that also can feel the effects of the inversion and they have had many sick days because of it.

Jim Hamblin :
Thank you Keaton for posting this article. I think anti-pollution measures are too often forgotten. Let's clean up Utah's air.

Travis Fillmore:
I don't really pay attention to pollution, at all. My concern is whether or not people actually critically assess pollution. While people may compare Utah to other states and say we're the worst, the US's pollution over all isn't that bad. Often target pollution levels are set arbitrarily. They're set so extremely low that no possible harm can come from it.  I don't feel any problems from our pollution on inversion alert days. But, maybe it contributes to darker days, which stinks. I think in this way pollution hurts me more psychologically than physically.

Scott Bohne: 
I don't really notice the air pollution that much. So I don't think it has affected me much at all. I consider to be really fit, so air pollution wouldn't have any affect on me in any way. Now that I think of it I would like to have more air pollution so that I can challenge myself to be fitter than the pollution.

Pat Kawka: 
Air pollution in Utah is becoming an increasingly larger problem. Because Salt Lake City and Provo are situated in valleys the pollution can become seated within the valleys and engulf the cities. This is especially noticeable during the winter when inversion takes over. This creates many gloomy days and can irritate and sicken many people. It is important to get on top of this problem early and prevent it from getting any worse. 

Francis Sargeant:  In Utah pollution has affected me greatly because I spend a majority of the time outside. I feel like something needs to be done about this pollution.

John Pearce: I feel like air pollution isn't as big of a problem as everyone says it is and we should be using are money more wisely for bigger problems such as people starving globally.

No comments:

Post a Comment