Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Love Canal Report; Alina Gibson-Constancio



 I posted about the 2010 BP Oil Spill in the Gulf of Mexico, with the following article...

Do you believe that environmental crises such as this affect you/your family today?

"Where I live there are not natural crises. I live in San Diego, on a fault line but it’s not something that I think about everyday and I don’t think about it day to day or even often."

"Ok, so I think that environmental crises of this magnitude can definitely affect my family today. Probably not huge oil spills because I don't live by the Gulf of Mexico, but other things such as man-created Forrest fires, etc. since I'm from Southern California."

"This "environmental crisis" has certainly affected me. The article states that there was a 6 month moratorium on deep water drilling in US waters which meant a lower domestic supply of oil to refine, which led, at least in part, to increased gas prices. From a business standpoint, BP made mistakes in procedure leading up to this accident. As a result the gov't has imposed further regulations, which may or may not make any difference in preventing future "accidents"."

"Besides our government spending more money when we are already in debt and my family probably needing to help pay for the fund, I don't think that this crisis really affects me or my family because we don't live in or close to Louisiana and I haven't heard much of it on the local news. It is a sad occurrence though that needs to be fixed because it is affecting other people's lives, even if it does not so much affect mine."

"It Indirectly effects my life because tax money was used for the clean up, and tax revenue was lost because of the issues it caused. We also don't know the long term damage done to the environment."

"I think it does effect me and my family indirectly. It will effect us economically as well as environmentally, but in todays world I think we choose to be ignorant and ignore thing like this that could potentially put us in danger. It's the sad truth that we bury ourselves in the lies that social media feeds us and there are a great number of things that go on that we have no idea about. However at the same time when people bring up environmental issues, people tend to change the subject as quickly as possible either because they are mis informed or they just don't care, even though they should."

"It definitely affects us all. Not only financially but health wise. Which creates a bigger problem than it already is. As it is considered the biggest oil spill in U.S. history. It has already made its way to the Florida Keys, which means that oil on beaches is extremely dangerous specifically in woman and children. Besides the common symptoms throat irritation, cough, chest pains and headaches it can cause deformities and birth defects to an unborn fetus. It has already hit land, which means it will ruin any rice or sugar plantations. Over all whether or not we are near the area of crisis it will keep spreading inland and will continue to be a huge problem and loss to our country."

"I guess I don’t know how directly it would affect my family’s day-to-day life. I don’t think it would but I do think it affects the way of our environment and this would then affect my family in someway because we are inhabitants of this earth."

"I think that my family is not directly affected by an occurrence directly like this one just because I don’t live close to it. But I do think that it still affects us because it will definitely change things in the environment because a huge oil spill is not good for that and therefore we will be affected in some way or another."

"This directly affects my family because when things like this happen we recognize and are more educated on what goes on around us. It may not be in our local neighborhood but it is on our planet and this is something that we all need to work together to maintain for the health and safety of everyone."

My reactions to the following questions were...
1.Do you believe that environmental crises such as this affect you/your family today?
I have an opinion similar to the others previously stated, I think my family is indirectly affected by an incident such as this one. Mainly because I don’t personally live close to the area that was mostly affected. If I lived closer than I would believe that I was directly affected. Even though my family wasn't directly affected, I believe there is many possibilities that would suggest we have been indirectly affected because this disaster affected the environment as a whole. 

2.Based on the impact environmental tragedies affect you/your family how likely are you to take action against disasters like this one?
 I don’t think I personally would be inclined to take much action against tragedies such as this one, just because I was not personally affected by it. This isn't saying that I wouldn't do anything at all but I don’t think I would seek out ways to help the cause.

3. In your opinion are environmental hazards something we should be concerned about on a daily basis. 
I don’t think that environmental hazards are something we should be concerned about on a daily basis because then we would all just become a paranoid population who refuses to live life. But I think that there should be thought into things that effect the wellness of the environment like recycling, using less water, picking up litter, etc. Doing things like this could bring about change and a reduced amount of environmental disasters and hazards. 



No comments:

Post a Comment