Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Love Canal Assignment - Claire Lewis



BP Oil Spill on the Gulf of Mexico

April 20, 2010 one of the oil rigs exploded at 11pm.  Workers died.
It was leaking 25,000 barrels a day into the ocean.
It could take MONTHS to stop this leaking.
April 28, a solution was thought of to light the oil slick on fire.  They did this…creating a huge plume of smoke.

It is amazing how it is still affecting the natural environment today.  People need to know about this situation so that it can get taken care of!  It is amazing how things like this just happen.  We need to be prepared for the worst always!


I posted this video “BP Oil Spill Effect on Wildlife” to Facebook. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OVNd6Fa9fg

Comments on Facebook:
1. Laura Varella: Oh my!!  This is horrible!! He can’t FLY?!
2. Chrissy Lassen: I remember when this happened.  Such a tragedy.
3. Aaron Lewis: BOOM!
    Aaron Lewis: But really, poor birdies.
4. Ben Camp: I read about this back when it happened
5. Katie Wakimoto: This makes me not want to go to the beach…ew
6. Ben Camp: Or maybe we can go…to Mexico and help. Hahaha.
7. Adam Lewis: I want to save animals!
8. Mike Camp: Some guy at my work actually said right after this happened he flew over this part of the ocean and he could see the oil barely in the water from above.
9. Karla Hernandez: I will keep and clean a bird L so sad L
10.  Janelle Laemmlen: But wait so much oil is being wasted….?  Is this affecting gas prices?   What!!

MY QUESTIONS:


1. Do you believe that environmental crises affect you/your family today?
           
I don’t think an environmental crisis would immediately or directly affect me or my family today because when something like this happens, we often don’t hear about it.  Or if we do, we see it on the news, and automatically think it doesn’t have to do with us.  But there could be some factors that will indirectly me or my family as a result of a disaster…like a raise in gas prices, or a certain good becoming unavailable.

2. In your opinion are environmental hazards something we should be concerned about on a daily basis?

There are a lot of environmental hazards that, again, don’t directly affect me.  One general hazard going on in Utah County right now is the horrible air quality, and when it was really bad in the winter, yes I was concerned on a daily basis because I love to run outside, and I was scared to.  It made me want to do something about it but I don’t really know what I would do.

3. Why should we care about something that happened over 30 years ago?

Why do we study history at all?  So we can learn from our mistakes.  They messed up bad with the Love Canal 30 years ago, and it is still having effects on the community today.  It is important that we don’t make the same mistakes.  There are lessons to be learned from everything in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment