Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Lauren Poet - Public Health Community Trends


Lauren Poet
2/27/13
Public Health
Public Health Community Trends

            For this paper, I interviewed Eric Edwards, The Director of Health Promotion in the Utah County Health department. Mr. Edwards was kind enough to send me 11 different trends that were apparent and said I could select the five that seemed to be the most prevalent in my community. I grew up in California, but have been living in Utah for the past 5 years. I decided to focus on trends that seemed apparent in both communities. The trends I decided tot talk about were tobacco use, obesity, prescription drug abuse, injuries as the leading cause of morbidity and mortality, and a stronger Emphasis in Primary Prevention.
            First, in the stronger emphasis in Primary prevention, Mr. Edwards talked about how for this to be effective sometimes life-style changes are needed. For example, my mother went to the doctor’s and was told that she almost had diabetes, so she had to start taking preventive measures and begin to change her diet. It was later found that the tests were inaccurate, and she was not in danger of diabetes, but she continued her new way of eating to prevent diabetes anyways. However, sometimes this is not always helpful. Mr. Edwards also mentioned that problems can arise from “the environment or genetics,” and so it is harder to prevent them. For example, both my uncles on my mother’s side and my mother are deaf in one ear. I went to the doctor and found I was susceptible to the same condition. Because of this, I have to take preventive measures and not listen to music that is too loud to prevent hearing loss – however because this is a genetic problem, not listening to loud music may not be enough. In order to make this a more effective field, Mr. Edwards mentioned that information must be gathered as to how people live. This information can be used to prevent further disease or problems.
            Another trend affecting the community is that of injuries leading to morbidity and mortality. When I was in high school, there was a boy who died in a terrible accident when he was riding his bike – without a helmet. Because he did not have a helmet, he hit his head and died. This is an example of injuries that lead to mortality. Mr. Edwards specifically mentioned that using helmets was a good way to prevent these injuries, if the boy had had a helment, he would probably still be alive. Mr. Edwards also mentioned that car safety is essential for safety in this trend. He also mentioned that “50% of all unintended injury deaths are associated with automobile accidents.”  Therefore, we must make sure that we are safely buckled and that the passengers (included) are also safely buckled and situated in the car. I think, though he did not mention it, I is also important to get your car checked upon so that it does not spazz out and cause an accident.
            Obesity was also mentioned as a trend in the community. Mr. Edwards noted that obesity is dangerous because it can cause other diseases, like diabetes or heart failure. The really tragic thing is that it is affecting younger and younger people – every year the people affected with diabetes 2 seem to become younger. In order to prevent this tragedy to increase, Mr. Edwards suggests that there be plenty of physical activity and that the children eat more healthily. I think, though, that this could tie back to what was said before about the health prevention – it is hard for people to change their lives so suddenly! However, if we teach it to children at a young age, and use this for prevention, we may be able to decrease obesity.
            The next thing trend that seemed to be apparent was tobacco use. Though we live in Utah, this is still a problem. Second hand smoke can cause a great amount of problems too, so this does not affect the people smoking only, it affects people around them. Mr. Edwards suggests teaching the community about the dangers of tobacco to prevent the dangers of tobacco.  I feel like the negative effects of tobacco are pretty well known, so I agree more with his other suggestion of making tobacco policies to prevent tobacco use in certain areas. This is tricky because it is an addictive substance. Even if people know the effects of smoking, they still do it. For example, I knew a lady when I was younger who smoked all the time, and one day (mind you I was very young) I went to her crying telling her that she was going to die if she didn’t stop smoking. She told my mother later that she knew I was right, but could not stop smoking. Even though people know the dangers of smoking, they still smoke, which is why I think it would be more effective to make smoking policies as well as educating people about smoking to prevent new people from starting to smoke.
            Finally, I would like to talk about prescription drug use. This was a big problem in my high school in Highland. In California, it was not as big of a problem because people were doing other sorts of drugs (for example a kid brought a giant tub of ecstasy so one of my classes – he got caught) but in Utah it seems to be a big deal. According to Mr. Edwards, this is a big trend, one that almost reaches “epidemic levels.” Obviously, there needs to be something done about this because it seems to cause a great many deaths as well. I think this can be prevented by education on the danger of prescription drugs. But also to have patience that use the drugs keep the drugs on them at all times, so others cannot access the drugs. That or they have to keep a tally of how many drugs they have and how many they take so they can tell if any are missing.
            There were numerous other trends that Mr. Edwards suggested to talk about. But I thought that these 5 trends were very apparent in our community and should be addressed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment