Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Keaton Cullimore- Community Health Trends

I have been born in raised in Sandy Utah . and decided I would talk to my Uncle Kelvyn Cullimore who is the mayor to talk to me about some of the trends up in sandy. The First, one of the main trends in Sandy Utah is obesity. This is really a result of unhealthy lifestyles and habits. Obesity leads to many other health problems including diabetes and heart problems. . Health Promotion officials are trying to implement programs in school to improve good eating habits , but that is one of the things that my Uncle Kelvyn told me. This is a problem that I feel parents need to work on with their kids more because just like all habits good healthy eating starts at home.
 
Another thing that Kelvyn mention is that people in Sandy are refusing to get their vaccinations.In my opinion I believe that there are mutiple reasons for this because I actually have a sister in-law who hasn't vaccinated her kids and it has caused problems with her and my mom. The facts are that some people believe that vaccines will actually give the disease to your child, which they can but it is not very likely. For this reason there are some parents that are depriving their children of vaccinations that they probably should be getting, and are necessary for them to get before they enter the school system.
,  In interviewing Kelvyn he also said that prescription drug abuse was a pretty bir problem . This may be due to the fact that our culture is very mormon here in Utah so there are people that just want to be different. In trying to do this they  turn to drug abuse which really isn't health for that individual or the society.The biggest reason people are doing that is because of the influences around them. It is not easy to get prescription drugs so this mean that they are engaging in illegal activity to obtain there prescription drug which is a very scary things.

           
            The next big trend is Chronic diseases. The problem with Chronic diseases is that sometimes you are unable to find a cure. If you are not on the ball with finding out that you have a Chronic disease than you won't be able to prevent it. The health promotion people try and educate people on Chronic diseases, and try and figure out what they can do to prevent the problem before it starts. It is just like any other serious injury or disease the sooner you treat it the better chances you have of taking care of it so it doesn't hurt the victim. 
,     The last thing I talked about with my Uncle Kelvyn was the polution in our air today. There are lots of things that can contribute to poor air quality, but one of the big things I think affects the air quality is driving around your car too much when it is not necessary. I see a lot of people with big cars that are revving their engines, and that is just not good for our society. One of the things that humans need naturally is clean air to breath. It may have been the last thing that my Uncle mentioned, but It certainly wasn't the least.

   This was a very cool experience getting to learn more about this from my Uncle, and I hope we can come up with some solutions to combat all of these problems
    
            .

No comments:

Post a Comment